The Leshan Giant Buddha (Dafo) is a 71-metre (233 ft) tall stone statue, built during the Tang Dynasty, depicting Maitreya. It is carved out of a cliff face that lies at the confluence of the Minjiang, Dadu and Qingyi rivers in the southern part of Sichuan province in China, near the city of Leshan.
This set contains photos I took of the Leshan Giant Buddha (Dafo) in China.
A quick introduction: In October 2014 after months of planning a dream came true, I managed to travel solo throughout the great and mystical land of China! 25 days, 9 cities; Shanghai, Beijing, Pingyao, Xi’an, Jiuzhaigou, Chengdu, Yangshou, Hong Kong & Macau, 6 flights, 3 trains, 2 coaches covering 15, 322 miles in all.
Originally I went through the 4500+ photos I took and picked out my favourites at the time, you can start that journey here and they are what I would call my “proper” portfolio photos for this trip, then later on I revisited all the photos again and found I had a lot more of the story to tell and even those these are what I call my offcuts I feel they are good enough photos to show on here and I spent some time creating new sets 1 to 3, now I have added to those offcut sets furthering the collection from 1 to 8 sets with an extra five new sets of China goodness you see here ~ enjoy!
1. Dragon fountain sculpture, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
2. Close up of the Giant Buddha Torii, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
3. Ferry port where I caught my boat to see Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
4. View from one of the ferries I was on heading out to see Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
5. Ferries arriving at the foot of Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
6. Wooden path clings to the sandstone face of Lingyun Hill, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
7. One of the guardian figures that flank the Big Buddha (Dafo), Leshan, Chengdu
8. The Big Buddha in all his glory, 230ft in height and took 90 years to finish construction in 803 AD, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
9. Lots of steps to climb up to the top of Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
10. Statue and temple in the hills of Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
11. The Big Buddha known as Dafo in Leshan, Chengdu
12. Close up of the Big Buddhas head, his nose measures 18ft long, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
13. Pagoda at the top of Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
14. About to descend the steep Nine Turns staircase to the foot of Big Buddha, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
15. Information board on the largest stone Buddha in the world, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
16. Descending carefully down the Nine Turns Staircase, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
17. Deities meticulously carved into the sandstone face of the Nine Turns Staircase, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
18. See the toes of Big Buddha in this photo to get a sense of scale here, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
19. Pray cushions set out at the foot of the Big Buddha, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
20. Jiazhou Huayuan temple and museum of Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
21. Chinese man offering incense sticks at the Jiazhou Huayuan temple, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
22. Temple on Lingyun Hill, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
23. Chairman Mao sculpture in a temple at Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu
24. View of Leshan from Dafo, Chengdu
25. View of a ferry and Leshan from the sandstone cliff face, Dafo, Leshan, Chengdu